First, the selection elements of optical connector
1. Application scenarios
Determine the type of optical connector through application scenarios, such as indoor, outdoor, or special customization.
Indoor optical connectors are used for non-exposed occasions. The connectors are small in size and suitable for dense arrangement, but their environmental resistance is relatively poor.
Outdoor optical connectors are used in the open air, such as rain, snow, wind and sand, direct sunlight and other harsh environments.
Special customized optical connectors are used in extremely special occasions, such as radiation resistance, deep sea sealing, and nuclear explosion resistance.
2. Functional division
Determine the type of optical connector according to its function, such as device-level panel installation, backplane blind mating, module-level panel installation, optical rotary connector, etc.
3. Determination of optical performance
The optical performance of optical connectors mainly includes insertion loss and return loss. According to the optical characteristics of the link, select the connector index used by each node to ensure that the link loss meets the receiving sensitivity requirements of the optical module.
4. Determining the number of optical channels
Optical signal transmission generally requires two channels, one channel for receiving and one channel for transmitting. For special use, if a single-fiber bidirectional optical module is used, single-channel transmission and reception can be realized. Determine the number of optical connectors and nodes at that location according to the number of channels at the optical link connector location.
5. Fitting fiber optic cables
When selecting fiber optic cables, the corresponding diameter should be selected according to the bending radius, and the mode (single-mode or multi-mode) and wavelength (commonly multi-mode 850nm, single-mode 1310nm and 1550nm) should be selected at the same time, and the tensile and compressive strength of the optical cable should be selected according to the application environment Or mildew-resistant, water-resistant grade.
Second, matters needing attention
1. Optical connectors are usually ordered together with fiber optic cables, and the type of fiber optic cable and the other end connector are required.
2. Optical connectors are more sensitive to dirt, and outdoor optical connectors with better sealing should be used in harsh environments.
3. The optical connector selection should consider the operating space, and the spacing between the two connectors should be left enough for a safe position for manual operation; in addition to the bending radius of the connector, the space occupied when the connector is screwed out in the axial direction should also be considered.